March 16, 2021
One of the biggest questions that I get asked all the time is, “can I bring my dog to the session?” My answer is always a resounding YES!! Our dog is such a huge part of our family, and he’s included in literally EVERYTHING that we do (including photos!). I absolutely love it when people bring their pets to sessions and incorporate them. Here are a few tips to help out at your next session with your pup!!
1. I always photograph the first half of your session with them. Unless they’re a dog who takes a while to calm down in a new spot, this is always your best bet. Once they’re done, they’re good to go! This leads to my next tip –
2. It can be helpful (especially if you have a younger dog and you’re at a location that ISN’T home) to bring someone to hang out with your dog. You don’t want to be constantly telling them to sit and stay during your time for photos, and sometimes they just want to wander and do puppy things. Plus, once they’re all done, you don’t have to worry about keeping an eye on them.
3. Bring LOTS of treats!! Bribery works SO well with dogs and with kids 😂. If you have some of their favorite treats, they’ll be much more willing to listen to you and pay attention. If they also have a squeaky toy (or something that will get their attention), I recommend bringing that too! I’ve been known to hold treats or toys in my hand to make them look at me.
4. Depending on what kind of fur your dog has, it might be best to get them groomed before your session. Our dog has short hair so you can’t tell if he hasn’t been brushed, but if you have a golden retriever or a dog with lots of fur, you’ll be able to see that they haven’t been groomed or brushed lately!
5. Make sure that your dog has had a walk or some sort of exercise. You want them to be able to pay attention and not be racing around. This is ESPECIALLY helpful if you have a hyperactive dog or a puppy. I personally know that if my dog hasn’t had a walk or an opportunity to play all day, he’s a literal psycho and refuses to listen to anyone.
Don’t stress!! Dogs have their own agendas and can be easily distracted, so don’t stress about it too much if they lose interest. They’re truly just like kids – your photos will be more genuine and fun when you’re acting normal with them!! I promise that it’s totally worth it to have them in your photos and you’re going to love the end result!!
CAN’T WAIT TO READ
THE NEWSLETTER YOU
Emails written like they're from a friend - best enjoyed with a craft cocktail while sitting on the beach!