January 31, 2018
We’ve had our photos professionally taken a few times & each time the thing that stresses me out the most is our outfits! I don’t want us to be matchy, I want the outfits to work well with their surroundings too (SO important!), and most importantly, I want us to be comfortable in them. So believe me when I say that I totally understand the struggle of finding the perfect outfit to wear for your engagement session!!
I include an engagement session in every single package because I believe that they’re such a vital part of your wedding process! Not only will you get a feel for how I shoot, you’ll be pros by your wedding day when it comes to posing. You’ll be super comfortable in front of the camera by the time that your big day rolls around & you’ll know how to have fun! Plus, what’s better than a few hours when you get to snuggle with each other!? I can think of nothing better!!
Here are my BIGGEST tips when it comes to styling your shoot!
– Don’t try to MATCH…try to pick outfits and accessories that coordinate instead.
– Accessories are your friend!! Layering looks SO amazing in photographs…& it’s so helpful when it’s cold outside!! I tend to photograph a lot of Fall/Winter engagements, and you will want to be bundled – you’ll be miserable otherwise!!
-Stay away from neon colors & don’t wear too much white!! But don’t afraid to be BOLD!!
– MOST PATTERNS are ok…however, graphics are not. If you’re wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting!
– Be sure to check out my engagement outfit Pinterest board for more outfit inspiration if you’re having trouble!
– Guys, this one’s for you!! Empty your pockets! You don’t want to have key chains or phones showing through.
– Most often, couples like to have one casual, everyday outfit and then one outfit that is dressier! This will give your shoot two totally different “looks”. I recommend beginning with the dressy outfit first!
– Make sure you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. If you’re not, it will show in the photos!
I always tell my brides that if they have any questions, they can contact me & we can work together to put together a cohesive look. I also have a few dresses in my client closet that are available for shoots (like this one below!). Putting together the perfect outfit for you to wear during your engagement session should be fun & not stressful.
Some of my favorite stores to source outfits from are:
H&M // Forever 21 (you laugh, but I found one of my favorite dresses there for $20!) // Nordstrom Rack // Amazon // Target // TJ Maxx // Marshalls
You don’t have to spend tons of money to look & feel great. And remember, if you ever have any questions, just ask!
CAN’T WAIT TO READ
THE NEWSLETTER YOU
Emails written like they're from a friend - best enjoyed with a craft cocktail while sitting on the beach!